Jo’s guide to self-care during stressful times. If you’re like me and many of my acquaintances, you’ve had minor aches and pains, headaches, anxiety, a feeling of dread, overwhelming feelings, and it all stems from 45’s ascent or attempted ascent, to dictatorship of our beloved America.
To combat these self-care issues, and to combat the outside forces poking at your safe space, here are a few tips to help. They have helped me.
- Outward influences – block your haters on FaceBook. It’s a kinder way of holding off the insanity. Yet you can still “lurk” and check out the baby pictures. They still are very important, and you still want to know how your loved ones are doing. Even though they turned out to be haters.
- Contribute – in my case, (sublimation?) – I’ve created a video of the Women’s March locally. I’ll offer it to the organizers. Instead of relying on others, I’ve taken the feelings and emotions and worked through them using my own vision.
- Tweet! Thank, follow, follow. Sometimes they take stuff off to CYA. Too bad. Learn to screen shot. Publicize the insanity.
- If you can’t get to an event, follow it on Twitter. Follow it on FaceBook. Often the same individuals are doing posting onto both. I know I do. Also, you will find you will develop a liking for some new people and possibly a new online community. Keep in mind, though, that the haters are also posing as friends. But that is how it is. They were always there, and always will be.
- Don’t be afraid to stop. Don’t follow. Don’t talk for a bit. But Fear = Failure. Go back. Rest and revive. Resist.
- Declare yourself a journalist! Declare yourself a Muslim! Declare yourself a friend to the other. #standingwiththeother. Find online communities, faith communities, political organizations. I like #Indivisible.com for action items. Be brave in these hard times. We want those who follow to thank us…not wonder why we were silent.
Finally a day to vote, a historic, unprecedented day after a disgusting, horror-filled misogynistic and unfair witch-hunt of a campaign lasting over a year.
And what do you think? #Trump the “other” guy, an old man wearing a wig and constantly licking his dentures while speaking, or not, is proving to be a sore loser. As if being a rapist, cheater, liar, evil fear mongering jerk weren’t enough, he is now opposing the results.
Hey old guy – we the people, the people, people, have spoken. We don’t want you. We want our America to be what it is. It is great. It stands as a shining example of freedom, justice, progress to all the planet. Let’s remember who we are and let’s move on.
We are speaking today.
Addendum: We lost.
Ever open up your #FaceBook page and hearken to Gen Xer relatives posting curses and rants against “federal government” and presidential hopefuls they don’t support, and oh, yes. #Muslims. Well, I have.
Gen Xers apparently have a mindset that they can say, do or post anything they want and then post things like “if you don’t like it…” or “too bad if you are so stupid…” (my para’s). Well, time to rethink what a “friend” with whom you “share” is, really.
Not that I’m looking for a way to have a world of bytes agree with me 100% of the time, but it seems it is not expedient, wise or even worth the time of day to again and again tell the world who you are. Who you identify as, with, or to.
This is apparently not popular, and let’s face it. Very few people of my advanced age even use FaceBook.
I thought it would be a great way to see pics and see people with whom I’m related, as they grow and participate in their own little, closed, now I realized, insular reality. This is not the case. My first to rebel niece, #Susan E. Fagan, jumped the shark many years ago when she would not accept my plea to watch out for cancer. My other two nieces don’t use their real names, and they are not little cute kids any more.
Well, neither am I. But I’ll try to stay clean and neat, at least inside, and let the rest of the world seek that within themselves before turning to my sometimes broken, heart. Be rude, but be rude without me.
So I love irony – here goes – 1. I’ve been boycotting #starbucks like forever. I don’t care I don’t like their coffee and it is very expensive. I couldn’t care less what color what snowflake or rainbow they put on a cup. just don’t write Joe for Jo. So #Donald wants to put more people out of work? What happened to his support of the $15 minimum wage! What a dope. Follow the dots. I guess I’m jealous because I barely made that as a fully certified and accredited graduate with decades of experience and mad skills. But the truth is, I can’t make a decent cup of coffee, not even for the next #presidentialcandidate!
2. Now to wax religious. The solstice brings with it holidays galore. If your faith doesn’t have a holiday, well, that is so sad. As a Pagan, however, and as a Unitarian/Universalist Pagan at that, I am in the best situation possible.
#UUA has a set of seven principles which, if you follow, make all religious observations acceptable. However, the third issue with #hairydonald is his lack of discretion when he threatens free speech. Suppose I were to go and tell a whole country that they would have to honor the solstice and say “blessed be” in December.
Is it because he’s a male brained person? Or old? Or a multi-billionaire? I don’t know for sure.
But I’ll keep wondering and hopefully enjoy my pagan solstice in style with my UUA community.